Navigating an Unconventional Career Path
By Brian Honigman, Marketing Consultant, NYU Adjunct Professor
This course is for you
Thinking of going freelance or investing time in a side project? It’s hard to know where to start as full-time jobs are the type of work we’re most familiar with as other options get glossed over. This class is a realistic and modern exploration of building an unconventional career.
Join Brian Honigman, a freelancer for six years and counting, in this course on how to achieve your career goals as a professional interested in operating outside the nine to five, whether that’s investing time in a side-hustle, becoming a full-time freelancer or starting your own business.
Diving into a non-conventional career can be challenging for many as there’s less certainty about which direction to take and why as compared to a traditional, full-time role that often provides a clearer path for progression either outlined by a company or your supervisor.
To succeed in an unconventional career path, you’ll learn how to:
- Identify your career goals. More flexibility? More creative work? You get to decide.
- Take on projects and new opportunities based on your existing skills and experience.
- Find and analyze different career paths outside the nine to five that are right for you.
- Diversify your work portfolio to take on more than one work opportunity at a time.
- Organize the projects, gigs, and clients you’re working with to align with your preferences.
- Get paid to do work that pays the bills, provides stability and helps fulfill you creatively.
- Promote yourself without feeling icky to ensure the right people know how to hire you.
- Network with the right people that can help open doors and offer support.
Whether you’re a first-time freelancer or have a thriving side hustle, by the end of this class you’ll learn how to take on the work arrangement you’ve always wanted or maybe a path you didn’t know existed, succeed financially and above-all, gain more freedom by defining career success on your own terms.
Course overview - 9
Why Work Outside the 9-5?
Start with Your Existing Skills and Work Experience
Career Paths in Freelance Work
Diversifying Your Workload
Set Clear Terms For Each Project
Promoting Your Expertise
Networking: Finding Clients, Freelance Friends, and Mentors
Sustainable Freelancing: Craft a Long-Term Career